Translate

Monday 13 August 2012

Live 1975-85

-When I was growing up, me and my dad used yo go out on each other all the time
over almost anything. But I used to have really long hair, way down pass my shoulders.
I was seventeen or eighteen, oh man he used to hate it.

We got to where we fight so much that I'd spend alot of time out of the house.
And in the summertime it wasn't so bad cause it was worm and your friends where out.
But in the winter, I remember staying down town and it got so cold.
And when the wind where blowin' I had this phone booth where I used to stand in.
And I used to call my girl , like for hours at the time just talking to her all night long.

And finally I get my nerve up to go home and I'd stand there in the driveway 
and he'll be waiting for me in the kitchen. 
And I tuck my hair down my color and I'd walk in and he called me back to sit down with him.
And the first thing he always asked me was "what did I think I was doin' with myself"
And the worst part about it was that I could never explain it to him.

I remember I got in a motorcycle accident once. And I was laid up in bed and he had a barber come and cut my hair. And man, I can remember telling him that I hated him and that I would never ever forget. 
He used to tell me "man, I can't wait til' the army gets you, when the army gets you they gonna make a man out of you. They gonna cut all that hair of and they make a man out of you"

And this was in I guess -68 and there was alot of guys from the neighborhood goin' to Vietnam. 
I remember the drummer in my first band commin' over to my house with his marine uniform on and saying that he was goin' and he didn't know where it was.
And alot of guys went and alot of guys didn't come back. And the once who came back weren't the same anymore. 

I remember the day I got my draft notice. I hid it from my folks. And three days before my physical me and my friends went out and we stayed up all night.
We got on that bus to go that morning. Man, we were all so scared.
And I went, and I failed. I remember comin' home after been gone for three days and walking in the kitchen and my mother and father were sittin' there and my dad said " Where you'v been" I said, I went to take my physical. And he said "What happened" I said they didn't take me. 
And he said " Thats good."

Det bästa bästa bästa mellanpratet någonsin, får rysningar i hela kroppen varje gång jag lyssnar på The River från Live plattan. Hoppas det inte dröjer för länge innan jag får se honom. Och jag är så avundsjuk på de som fick se just när han gjorde just denna live inspelningen. Men jag skruvar upp så högt att sakerna vid högtalaren skakar. Jag blundar och tänker att jag är där.

No comments:

Post a Comment